Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Addicted to Curating Not Hoarding

I spend a lot of time on the internet, but as a Realtor and occasional website designer, a lot of my work is on the internet.

Pinterest is kind of 2010 but it did not really gain traction until last year.  I was able to mostly ignore it until about 9 months ago, but like many am now addicted. Pinterest is about curations or collections or maybe a form of digital hoarding.

There are pin boards and users can pin, which is mostly about linking to photographs.  There is a bookmark available for most browsers.  Click on the bookmark and pin a picture to one of your boards.  Pictures can also be uploaded onto the site, but that isn't really what curation is about and we have Flickr for that.  Pinterest boards can be collaborative so that more than one user can contribute.



I have several pin boards including ones dedicated to paint ideas, distressed furniture, ways to stay organizedkitchens, outdoor living, and even party ideas plus many more.  My most favorite thing about using Pinterest is no longer having to bookmark every website page that has a photo(s) of something I like or inspiration ideas.  Like you can really remember months later what page goes to what.  Now all I have to do is go to my Pinterest boards and there it is!

One of the reasons I am writing about this is that I think Pinterest is a great place to collect decorating or remodeling  ideas for a home or it might be useful for staging your home to sell.  Pinterest is great if you're wanting to build too.  A collection of pictures of house styles, cabinet finishes and rooms that you like can be shared with your Realtor or Builder so they have a better idea of what you like.

Looking at your own pin board may surprise you too.  My boards of house features has a lot of European/French Country style photographs.  I was surprised there were so few traditional style photos on my boards.  I never really thought about how much I preferred european over traditional before.  Pinterest is social and as I follow friends and look at their collections I see a new side of them too.  It's always nice to know what your friends like, right?  

Pinterest is still invitation only, but you can request an invite at Pinterest's website www.pinterest.com/landing.  Want to check out all my boards?  Just search Sheila Conkling on Pinterest or click here.  If you think I would like your boards, leave me a comment below and I'll check them out.

Happy pinning!


No comments:

Post a Comment